Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Building a stronger version of CrossFit

I've been involved with CrossFit since 2005, and I know it develops great conditioning, however, there is a trend I've noticed in recent years concerning not enough focus on absolute strength.
At my gym, CrossFit Gulf Coast aka the Cave, we know that strength drives everything else, it's just that simple.
Our main focus is building absolute strength through correct technique being taught, diligent program design, adequate recovery, and a clear focus on safety.
I don't care how fast you can do something wrong!
If you can't deadlift, squat, bench press, and shoulder press sizeable loads, you don't have a good strength base.
Concerning body weight, if you can't do a respectable number of strict pull-ups, something is wrong.
All those things are addressed at the Cave.
Choose carefully where you train.

No comments: